St. Johns River by Heather Hummel

St. Johns River by Heather Hummel
St. Johns River by Heather Hummel Photography

Monday, October 15, 2012

Featured Photographer: Keith Dotson

Avenue of the Oaks, Savannah - Keith Dotson


This long drive way is the unbelievably beautiful entrance to a ruined colonial plantation home near Savannah. This procession runs 1.5 miles, lined the entire way by 400 massive, arching, vine-covered oak trees--every branch draped in Spanish Moss. I got lucky on the day I photographed the lane, because it was cloudy and the light was flat. A strong direct sun would have made harsh shadows and made the image too complex. Although I use a variety of film and digital cameras, this image was created with a Canon 7D using a 70-200 L lens.


Keith Dotson Bio:
The landscape, both natural and urban, is the basis of my art. With photography, I seek to capture the essence and spirit of the subject. I'm drawn to black and white because I enjoy the drama and emotion, the texture and power that only black and white images can portray. My work has been shown in art galleries in California, Texas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Toronto, and Tennessee. It has also appeared in major TV programs and TV commercials, and is scheduled to appear in a major motion picture now in production. My photos have also been sold by major retailers like Urban Outfitters and Fathead.com.

Currently my photographs are represented by Bentley Global Arts Group (Austin), Wallspace LA (Los Angeles), Advocate Art (London), and Art + Artisans (Austin and Houston).

I've also worked as a professional art director for over 25 years, and taught art and design classes at Austin Community College in Austin, Texas, and at Texas State Technical College in Waco, Texas. Originally from Texas, I'm a single parent, currently living in the Nashville area. 


No comments:

Post a Comment